nanog mailing list archives

Re: wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

From: Charles N Wyble <charles () knownelement com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:37:52 -0500

On 09/16/2011 04:34 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Randy Carpenter wrote:

If you go to ARIN, day one, and ask for address space, they have no
way of determining if your request is justified, beyond whatever
pie-in-the-sky guesses and growth projections you give them.  You're
asking for address space, sight unseen, in this case.  That would be
like someone going to a bank and asking for a loan, with no
documentation, collateral, or anything else to give the bank
confidence that they'll pay the loan back.

That's why the slow-start model has been used, particularly for v4 space.
If you started off by getting PA space from one or more of your
upstreams, then there should be additional documentation to back up
your request (SWIP entries, RWHOIS data, etc).

When I still worked in the ISP world, the startup I worked for started
off with PA space, and then grew into PI space, and handed the PA
space back to their upstreams as it was vacated.  I had no problems
getting subsequent
PI blocks because our documentation was in order.

Alright. This seems fair.

Easy enough to get some big chunks of v6 space from up streams and then
justify the PI space.

I shall have to do that then.

--
Charles N Wyble charles () knownelement com @charlesnw on twitter

http://blog.knownelement.com

Building alternative,global scale,secure, cost effective bit moving platform
for tomorrows alternate default free zone.