nanog mailing list archives

Re: ouch..

From: "Jima" <nanog () jima tk>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 12:23:07 -0600 (MDT)

Once upon a time, Jima <nanog () jima tk> said:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:
I was at Valley Fair mall the other day. Micr0$0ft is apparently
building
new store directly across from the Apple store there.

 It's funny; they did the exact same thing at Mall of America maybe a
year
ago.  I guess your report confirms it was a strategy, rather than a
really absurd coincidence.

They could be following the (possibly urban legend) Burger King model.
Supposedly, McDonald's would spend a bunch of time and money doing
market research, surveys, and such before placing a new restaurant.
Burger King would wait for McDonald's to spend the time and money, and
then open a new restaurant across the street.

 Oh, wow; been a few years since I heard that one.  I'll admit, it seems
at least remotely viable.

 No, in the MoA case I'd say it's more about obvious, direct competition;
of all the (according to the site) 4.3 miles of potential storefront at
Mall of America, Microsoft chose *directly across the hallway* from the
long-standing Apple Store.  (Okay, that might be hyperbole -- it may have
been a shop or two down, as well; I forget.)

     Jima