nanog mailing list archives

Re: Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:58:32 -0400

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Eric Krichbaum wrote:

That was on June 25th according to Mark Kosters.  They started to answer
with both the parent and delegated objects.  That hosed the way RWHOIS
data
was being reported to most things as the client won't know which to send
through to the rwhois servers.  Still works from an old SCO box but not
from
anything current.

A "+" flag on the query from some clients will get it to recurse, but for
my
tests kicked back "%error 350 Invalid Query Syntax".

Prepending the query with a + "works" for me, in that I get the expected
data, but there's additional unexpeced data (full record for the Parent,
even if the Parent is just an ARIN /8) in the output that will probably
still cause problems for scripts.

my guess is that ARIN is hoping folks turn to the actual RESTful
interface for many scripted purposes...I keep expecting to see some
example python/perl/etc off:

<https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/index.html>

but at least the api is documented, it ought to be fairly
straightforward to make a simple whois client.
(that could be extended to be used in whatever scripty thing you were
using before)
-chris