nanog mailing list archives

Re: [outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:06:17 -0400

On 2011-10-12, at 13:05, Leigh Porter wrote:

Email on my iPhone is working fine.. ;-)

The blackberry message service is centralised with a lot of processing intelligence in the core. Messaging services
that use the core as a simple transport and shift the processing intelligence to the edge have different,
less-dramatic failure modes.

      This is not the case for corporate customers with dedicated servers,
      AFAIU.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that at some/most/all traffic between handhelds and a BES, carried from the
handheld device through a cellular network, still flows through RIM.

Joe