nanog mailing list archives

Re: automated config backups for SFTOS

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:04:45 -0500

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM, James Harr <james.harr () gmail com> wrote:
Second rancid.

+3

If SFTOS supports per-command authorization (via RADIUS/TACACS), you can

it does

limit the script account to only be able to use 'show run' and whatever
else it needs (even when it logs in).

you can

That said, if you're looking for on-the-cheap, I haven't seen a free
TACACS+ server that does authorization and was stable, so you'll probably
have to compromise and give your script more permissions than it needs just
to get the job done.

the cisco tacplus src server is a basic example...
shrubbery.net's tacplus server is quite workable (and heasley keeps
the code working/clean/adding-features)

a simple config for 'just permit show run' is certainly possible with
the shrubbery.net server... if you want example config pipe up.

I should have included:
<http://www.shrubbery.net/tac_plus/>

and there are some decent example configs available (I think john
payne had some posted/updated, this query seems to show a bunch of
positive results:
<https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=john+payne+tacplus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8>

-chris