nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Traffic Light Control

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:36:06 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 02:26:34PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:

Some other things to consider.

Relays are more likely to fail. Yes, the relay architecture was
carefully designed such that the most failures would not result in
conflicting greens,

My understanding was that it was completely impossible.  You could
fail dark, but you *could not* fail crossing-green.

Just to put one point to rest.

I, personally, have witnessed traffic lights showing 'green both directions'.
*TWICE*.  One was in the mid-1960s, with what was undoubtedly relay-based
control logic; the second was in the late 1990s, *probably* with solid-state
'management' controls , but I don't know for certain.  (The 'relatively
recent' unit's I've seen the insides of have solid-state logic driving final
'output' relays that provide power to the actual signal head.)

In the first case, the pedestal-mounted control unit had been subjected to
excessive impact forces, and some of the 'output' wires had shorted together.