nanog mailing list archives

Re: Performance Issues - PTR Records

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:02:15 +1100

From: Matt Chung [mailto:itsmemattchung () gmail com]
Historically, there was no compelling reason to create PTR
records for our CPE however more and more applications seem
to be dependent on it.  Although we will be assigning a
record for each address, my question is why
is the application (specifically HTTP) dependent on a reverse record ?
What is the purpose?

As a web host, we frequently find customers who have
added Apache rules to their ecommerce sites to block
undesirable traffic, such as credit card scammers, etc.
Not knowing any better, they often do this by just
blocking anything that ends in .in to block Indonesia
for example.

That's even less effective than you'd naively expect, given that Indonesia's
TLD is .id...

- Matt