nanog mailing list archives

RE: Performance Issues - PTR Records

From: Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda () icann org>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 11:08:44 -0800

Mark Andrew wrote:

[...]

That said though the PTR->forward->PTR check is a proper check and a
really great way to figure out if the source SMTP host was actually set
up with at least some admin doing it the right way. If they can't be
bothered to set that up, why should you bother to accept that mail, or a
better choice, just score it a bit negatively at least.

Which only works as a filter because ISP's decided to prevent home
users from putting valid PTR records in the DNS for their own
machines.  It has nothing to do with clue or knowlege.

Some do but some don't. I seem to remember a very nice little web interface for setting reverse DNS when I used
xs4all's service in the Netherlands.

Regards,

Leo