nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call (expires in one week)

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:10:32 -0600

On 11/11/2011 1:11 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Would it be*nice*  to have RA Guard and DHCP6 snooping in place? Yes.  Is it
totally impossible to deploy IPv6 until they're fully baked? Not at all - just
need to be aware of the issues and be prepared to mitigate.  Sure it raises the
risk level slightly - but we judge the risks of not being well-positioned for
IPv6 to be*much*  higher.

From a DSLAM perspective, the security stuff was annoying and often just broke IPv6 all together. I am still a fan of 1 vlan per user and q-in-q. It does have issues in dorm type scenarios where you might not want to bring local traffic all the way back to l3 termination, though.

Jack