nanog mailing list archives

RE: Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:53:35 +0000

From: Rick Astley [mailto:jnanog () gmail com]
I think most the points made here are valid about why it isn't an easy
problem to solve with multicast.
Lets say for instance they had a multicast stream that sent the most
popular
content (which to Randy's point may not cover much) and 48 hours of
that
stream was cached locally on the CPE. What is the additional cost to
expand
each of these CPE's to handle this? Will it be HD or SD or both? Are
people
willing to Sacrafice their Xbox and PS3 disk space? Does the $60 Roku
become
the $400 Roku? Does securing all the content then become more
difficult?
What is the hard drive failure rate of these devices with them
constantly
writing to disk?

What incentive do users have to to shell out the money for a device
that
will handle this caching? Multicasting this type of content seems to
create
more problems than it solves.

Lots of people already cache multicast streams to disk at home. I have a Humax digital TV cache (PVR ;-) that caches HD
and SD content for me automatically.

Doing the same over a network is not that much more of a jump really. My Humax box already has Ethernet to my home
network, grabbing a multicast feed is no more than a software feature.

So in a way people already pay to do just this.

Indeed, in the UK, SKY offer a movies service which I believe you can cache locally if you have a SKY+ thing. So, SKY
do it now and people pay for it.

--
Leigh