nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo and IPv6

From: Jima <nanog () jima tk>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 13:03:16 -0500

On 2011-05-15 10:28, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
On 5/15/2011 6:49 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:
We have agreed to disagree on the value of this before. Sorry your not
so popular protocol is going the way of EGP .... it's just not fit for
the evolving internet and will be subject to natural deselction. I am
sure you will disagree with that and insist every end user must always
support ipv4 because rtmfp is top of mind for so many users .... but
we can leave it at that ....please

...and we'll agree to disagree on this one (RTMFP)... and users will
just be ok with BitTorrent and Skype not working on the v6-only + NAT64
networks you're building, I suppose?

BitTorrent tends to be an evolving protocol, with lots of clients competing for mindshare; I'm not certain that limitation will remain. As for Skype, it seems like that is potentially a business decision on Microsoft's behalf. With the money they may be sinking into the technology, I would contend they have something to lose by not making it work. As has been discussed at length on this list, this is NOT an unfixable issue.

     Jima