nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 00:42:08 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>

It doesn't make sense for a lot of on-demand access but makes a lot of
sense for live content like radio talk shows, news, sports, etc. Even
webcams could be upgraded to provide streaming content rather than
individual frames without chewing up a lot of resources. It wouldn't
matter if 1 or 1 million people are watching, the bandwidth resource
requirement would remain the same.

If there are 10,000 Comcast subscribers watching exactly the same live
event on the net, sending 10,000 streams of exactly the same data is
dumb and it doesn't have to be that way.

And, more to the point, as we proceed more and more into a live-tweet,
social TV world, *having all your viewers within a second or two of
each other* becomes more and more important.

My experience is that that's *much* easier to manage in a multicast
environment, than with live-unicast streaming -- especially when there
are multiple server clusters in different places for load balancing.

Cheers,
-- jra