nanog mailing list archives

Re: Downstream Usage-BGP Communites

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:27:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Nick Olsen wrote:

Was hoping to gain some insight into common practice with using BGP
Communities downstream.

Generally, the transitive BGP attribute you have the most direct control over is AS_PATH, though it's not impossible for a provider to munge the AS_PATH on routes they receive from their transits and peers, beyond your control.

Some providers might have communities that let you pass things along to their transit providers and peers, or influence traffic patterns / route propagation.

For example, if I buy transit from ISP X, and they get transit from Level3 and Sprint, they might offer a community that lets me selectively prepend to Sprint (or Level3), I can affect how traffic flows to my network. In your example, AS100 might have a community that you can set on your announcements that will cause them to set 4323:666 on that prefix when it's passed to TWTC. If they don't offer a community, then doing what you're looking for would require one of their network people to put something manual in place. Many large networks don't like to (or won't) do that because one-off requests don't scale very well, and it can add complexity when troubleshooting a connectivity problem, or when someone fat-fingers an access-list/distribute-list/prefix-list.

This varies greatly, based on the level of control your direct BGP neighbors are willing or able to offer to you. Also, in general, the farther away a network is from you (in terms of AS hops), the less likely you are to have control over how they propagate and act upon your announcements.

jms