nanog mailing list archives

RE: Current recommendations for 2 x full bgp feed

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 17:51:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 May 2011, George Bonser wrote:

Things are about to get very different very quickly.  Assuming by full
BGP feed you mean both IPv4 and IPv6, you are soon going to need
something that takes >500,000 routes.  There are two reasons for this.
First as the larger blocks of v4 space become unavailable due to runout,
allocations of space will likely come as crumbs of smaller space.  For
example if someone requests a /16 they might get an equal amount of
space in a bundle of smaller blocks that are not contiguous and can't be
aggregated.  This is going to lead to an explosion of routes in the v4
table.

This is already starting to happen. Starting in February, shortly after the last of the free IPv4 /8s were allocated, my historical graphs of the v4 and v6 routes we receive shows a slight, but noticeable uptick in growth rate.