nanog mailing list archives

Re: What vexes VoIP users?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 21:09:12 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:55:16 CST, Frank Bulk said:
Are you saying that the large MSOs don't use CM configuration files
that create separate downstream and upstream service flows for Internet,
voice signaling, and voice bearer traffic?

So the cable company carves out a protected flow for its own triple-play
telephone, while third-party VoIP vendors have to contend on the Internet flow?
Why aren't the net-neutrality people busy having a cow over this?

Ok, see, Valdis; this was where I started this conversation, and -- I think
because I was merely using terms they didn't like for the objects involved --
everyone told me no, that wasn't what was really going on.

But it sure *sounds* like what I thought was going on, really is (ie: the
condition about which you inquire, above).

And it wouldn't be Net Neutrality: it would be common-carrier equal access.

I think.

Cheers,
-- jra