nanog mailing list archives

Re: The state-level attack on the SSL CA security model

From: Joakim Aronius <joakim () aronius se>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:27:48 +0100

* George Herbert (george.herbert () gmail com) wrote:
Back on original point - if the *actual effective* model of browser
security is browsers with an internal revoked cert list - then there's
a case to be made that a pre-announcement in private to the browser
vendors, enough time for them to spin patches, and then widespread
public discussion is the most responsible model approach.  The public
knowing before their browser knows how to handle the bad cert isn't
helpful, unless you can effectively tell people how to get their
browser to actually go verify every cert.

No. In the case of a remote exploitable hole in the client OS I agree, then the user can do nothing and will benefit if
there is a patch before the knowledge of the problem is spread. But in this case it is a security hole in the server
side. IF users are informed they can avoid using the service and thus avoid the risk. (And if the risk is to be on the
wrong end of a stick, at least I would appreciate a warning.)

So what about a general warning that secure communication with site X, Y and Z could be compromised? Maybe even a big
warning on the sites themself to give a warning before you login? (It could be removed by a 'man in the middle', but it
would spread the word.)

I wonder why that didn't happen..

/J