nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route tablesizeconsiderations

From: Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask () develooper com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:49:13 -0700

On Mar 14, 2011, at 16:38, Nick Hilliard wrote:

Doesn't SLAAC give you automatic "MAC address to IP" mapping?  It'll save you manually doing that (in an otherwise
well controlled environment).

No, it doesn't. On some systems, the mac address is used to create the ipv6 address, but not on others (e.g. windows
7).

Sorry, I made the mail a bit too short I supposed.  "Well controlled environment" in my case is a bunch of relatively
homogeneous linux server systems ("plain" hardware and virtualized), all managed by the same team.

 - ask

--
Ask Bjørn Hansen, http://askask.com/