nanog mailing list archives

Re: [afnog] Suspicious request for IP address space

From: Tom Hill <tom () ninjabadger net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 15:52:26 +0000

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 10:36 -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
Odds are, they're looking for a willing host for a snowshoe spamming
operation.  If I wanted space for something like that, Afrinic region
providers would not be my first choice...particularly for the
hosting.
AFAIK, there are numerous LIRs in the RIPE region, particularly
Romania
who are more than happy to lease large blocks of IPv4 to anyone for
any
purpose.

Indeed. However, and I too get similar requests (not quite as big,
but /24's and /23's etc.)

The first thing I do is search for their "name" and domain they're
e-mailling from, with the term 'ROKSO' behind it.

50% of the time you find a reference to the domain or their name in
Spamhaus' ROKSO list.

The other 50% of the time you find someone that isn't in there, but
really should be...

Tom