nanog mailing list archives

Re: [afnog] Suspicious request for IP address space

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:18:51 +0000

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 02:43:38PM +0100, Phil Regnauld wrote:
      (Cross posting to nanog, apologies if this is considered not appropriate).

Shepherd Magumo (shepherd) writes:
Good day,

I work for an ISP with own small AfriNIC IP block and ASN number and
recently received a second suspicious request for a huge IP address space
with server hosting solution and we are about to turn it down.

Below is the exact request and I am sure there is something dodge about this
request. Anybody else in ISP receive this?

We are looking for an IP address space of /17 and we would like to lease it
for one complete year. Please quote us the price and if its something in
our
range, We will go ahead and purchase, Along with it do you provide
dedicated
servers and hosting services. Get back to me soon along with the requested
details.

      Hi Shepherd,

      Without disclosing the sender of this mail, do you know where it's
      originating from, region wise ?  The size looks a bit large to be a
      legitimate request.  They might be probing the market to find a LIR
      willing to go along with a scam.

      As I see it, if you consider the ratio of available IPv4 space left in
      the AfriNIC pool vs. the population in Africa, there is a temptation
      for IPv4 hungry orgs. to acquire v4 space via front companies in Africa,
      and announce it elsewhere - where the validation process for the
      appropriate RIR would be more stringent.

        i received the -exact- text as well.  I offered a lease, at the usual
        terms, which was outside their range of acceptable cost.  the request
        came from outside the AFRInic service area....

--bill