nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Issues? East Coast US

From: Bret Palsson <bret () getjive com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:05:07 -0700

From our experience and smoke pings on Verizon's alternet, they ALWAYS have issues. Which is why we moved away from
them.

-Bret

On Mar 1, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Chris Tracy wrote:

Seeing some packet loss via Cogent.
www.internetpulse.net seems to be lighting up.
I'm noticing it too.  POP in Grand Rapids, circuit to Detroit.  Packet loss,
but no total loss of connectivity.

Interesting.  I began to notice trouble reaching google about a week ago from 2 different east-cost Verizon FiOS
lines -- one business and one residential -- but my problem appears to be congestion at the AS701 <> AS15169 border.
I'm not noticing any loss across AS701.

These problems began around 9am Eastern on Saturday Feb 19th -- see attached smokeping graph.  You can see the
diurnal pattern in the loss -- packet loss peaks between 9a-4p ET.  Of course, I can get toipv6.google.com without
any loss at all via my HE tunnel!

In both cases, mtr shows ~50% loss beginning at google-gw.customer.alter.net (152.179.50.62), the first hop in
AS15169.  It's clear that I must be losing more ICMP than TCP packets given that google webpages come up fairly
quickly, but youtube videos hang ever since this started.

Anybody else seeing this?

Thanks,
-Chris

--
Chris Tracy <ctracy () es net>
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

<Screen shot 2011-03-01 at Mar 1 11.44.55 AM.jpg>