nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:39:09 +1000

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 07:53:36AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Jun 10, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
In a message written on Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:34:57AM -0400, Ray Soucy wrote:
Also agree that I want flexibility to use RA or DHCPv6; the
disagreement is that RA needs to be removed or changed from IPv6.
Don't go breaking my IPv6 stack for your own ambitions, please.

I want that flexability as well, but the IETF won't deliver.

The two options delivered so far are:

RA's only.

Only sort of... This only works if you don't want to auto-configure things like DNS,
NTP, etc.

I would like to see both protocols made optionally complete, so, in addition
to fixing DHCPv6 by adding routing information options, I'd also like to
see something done where it would be possible to add at least DNS
servers to RA.

RFC6106... the future is nooooooow...

I like it, inasmuch as I don't need to run a separate DHCPv6 server on a
simple network, but that'd be equally solved by merging radvd into the DHCP
server and just running that.  The client-side configuration is annoying for
RDNSS.

- Matt