nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:22:04 -0400

On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Scott Brim wrote:

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 09:47, Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net> wrote:
I'd go so far as to say "user failure".  If I wanted cable TV
(especially if I needed it at home as part of my job), I wouldn't
buy/rent/lease/whatever a home without checking that cable TV is
available at that location.

Yeah, he messed up, but the social problem is still real.  The
Internet is now more important than electricity or water -- you can go
off the grid or dig your own well, but more and more you can't get a
job or talk to the government without web access and email.

I have an off-the-grid location I can go to.  I can get internet access there with a VZ MIFI at speeds of 1Mb/s.  What
I can't get is a software update over that service to keep my devices secure.  The 5GB data cap gets in the way.

The current set of iphone/ipad firmware updates are about 700mb per device.  Not counting the latest combo updater (or
incremental) for MacOS. (Hopefully with the 5.0 software announced they will do OTA updates on a different APN that
doesn't count against ones data limits).

I don't use windows so not sure what those weigh in at, but they're bound to be a few hundred megs.

- Jared