nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:42:01 -0400

On Jun 3, 2011, at 8:27 AM, fredrik danerklint wrote:

The problem is not all on Microsoft at this case.

For example; I've bought a ZyXEL P-2612HNU-F1(which has
802.11n Wireless ADSL 2+ 4-port gateway 2 SIP 2 USB 3G Backup)
in december 2010. It basiclly has everything in it.

You made the mistake of buying something that wasn't compliant with the following draft:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-george-ipv6-required-02

How do I as a customer do to have a working IPv6 setup on this modem since
ZyXEL, basicilly, has decide that it will not support IPv6 at all?

I mean, you can not say it does not have the the cpu power for handling IPv6
when it can also act as a fileserver and a printserver for example.

What they (ZyXEL) are saying to me (for not haveing IPv6 at this moment) is
that they don't have the skills to implement IPv6 in their current products.

Think about all the CPE that will not be upgraded, since those that makes them
don't care at all, even tough it probably has the cpu power to handle IPv6.

Replacing CPE will come naturally with entropy over time combined with the early-adopters.

I know many people who would walk into the store today and buy a docsis 3 cable modem if cox/charter/twcable etc had
ipv6 available.

And I haven't even started at the network equiment that exists between me as a
ISP and my customer (this equiment is out of my control), that can't handle
IPv6 even if my customer got an working CPE with IPv6.

This is a whole other issue but getting better.  I do want to see what Qwest (Centurylink?) plans on the consumer side
as well as any form of an upgrade to the 2WIRE devices that AT&T is using.  Looking at the other providers out there,
it's interesting to watch the table growing daily.  Somewhere around 10-20 new ASNs appear in the IPv6 table right now.
 (Weekends tend to show few if any adds).

2WIRE rant: These have a whole host of issues that seem to constantly cause problems.  (I do like that if you send a
SIP notify to devices behind them they sometimes reboot themselves and solve the problem due to their broken SIP-ALG
that can't be disabled).

How fun is that?

The usual fun.  We have had discussions with vendors about IPv6 support and capabilities and they are really
interesting.  Just ask about v6 lawful-intercept for compliance next time.  Interesting days ahead, but all Is the
bright future.  The network is real now, even if you don't like the smell or color of IPv6.

- Jared