nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:02:56 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: brunner () nic-naa net

howdy all from a cold room 100km north of the equator.

That's an *amazingly* oblique and de minimis reference to the topic
on point, couched in Eric's usually opaque language ...

i'm reading this from the meeting room where the generic names supporting
organization council is meeting (saturday is gnso policy day), in what
i've heard is disneyland with a death penalty.

two things i think "of note" have occured in the past week+:

1. the deparment of commerce summarized (first round!) notice and
comment period (see the apa or ask an admin practitioner near you or read fox,
a worthwhile activity in its own right -- google "+fox
+administrative-law") on the iana function contract, and

2. the department of justice responded to the department of commerce
request for guidance on competition policy issues and the icann board
resolution of november last to end structural separation in the competitive
market created through the competitive registrar testbed in 2000.

i read each as notice from the usg that the drift, or direction,
depending on one's point of view, of a 501(c)(3) to which rule making may have
been delegated, is subject to correction.

so did anyone have a question or is my epistolary stylistic genius
sufficient as topic of general interest?

... and he talked for 45 minutes, and no one understood a word that he said.

:-)

I *think* you're saying that the USG may decide that it wants to piss
the world off even further, by deciding that it's made a mistake delegating
things to ICANN, and *taking them back*; is that roughly where you're going?

Cheers,
-- jr 'anyotherkindathing you got to say pertaining to and about the crime 'a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com