nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:13:42 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>

As for calling ICANN stupid, thinking this will help fracture the
'Net, I think you are all confused. I think the NANOG community has
become (OK, always was) a bit of an echo chamber. Trust me when I say
we are the minority. Most people think very differently, and we better
accept that if we hope to affect things outside our little group.

We may be the minority, but my experience is we have a pretty good record
at spotting where the pinch points might come up in proposed expansions/
changes.

http://apple/ is going to break a bunch of shit.

(Ok, it might or might not break actual browsers, but I have seen "require at
least one dot or assume it's not a domain name" in *lots* of code; the
inability to put sjobs@apple in your address book will not be popular.)

Interstate-level traffic engineering types are not a big political bloc,
either... but no one ignores them when building Interstates.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com