nanog mailing list archives

Re: AltDB?

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:45:20 -0800

On 01/10/2011 19:18, John Curran wrote:
On Jan 10, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
On 01/09/2011 10:09, John Curran wrote:
Please suggest your preferred means of IRR authentication to the ARIN
  suggestion process:<https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/index.html>
Now it seems that you acknowledged that further on in this thread, but just for fun I decided to try your
suggestions-suggestion. I went to the site, it requires a login.

Doug - Perhaps you saw the "ARIN Online" login on the left side and decided
to create an account for registration services?

Wasn't a conscious decision, no. :) The page at the URL above looks like this for me:

http://dougbarton.us/ARIN-Participation.png

That's using firefox 3.6.13 on FreeBSD with a few addons, but nothing that should be affecting how the page renders. OTOH I do have the minimum font size cranked up globally.

On (admittedly) cursory exam I didn't see a form to submit anything, so I gravitated to the rather large login widget under the assumption that it must be important because it's so big. :) Of course I wish now that I had spent a little more time searching for a suggestion link, but with the only prominently displayed suggestion-related item being the "ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process" header, and no form below it, my eye went to the next biggest thing.

The Suggestion Process page
should haved displayed for you without any login; it describes the suggestion
process as follows:

"Any person in the ARIN community is welcome to make a suggestion
  regarding an existing or potential ARIN service or practice.
  Such a suggestion will be sent to ARIN as described at Suggestion
  Submission<https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/>  page. "

Yes, when going to that page it's a lot more clear. I'm glad that it's my own incompetence that prevented me from effectively making a submission. Perhaps we're all better off as a result. :)

Doug

--

                        -- OK Go