nanog mailing list archives

Re: What's the current state of major access networks in North America ipv6 delivery status?

From: Antonio Querubin <tony () lava net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:01:37 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

You do NOT want to keep state for all the devices in the customer residence. Your ND table will be enormous.

We already have problems with ARP on our larger residential aggregation routers, I don't even want to think about what it'd look like with 10+ devices in peoples homes in those /64:s, each perhaps using multiple IPs. Your ND traffic will be enormous.

I wonder how many ISPs actually have so many IPv6 customers that they actually have these problems. Or is this mainly a limitation with a particular vendor's equipment?

Antonio Querubin
e-mail/xmpp:  tony () lava net