nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ipv6 for the content provider

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:39:16 -0800

On Jan 26, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Antonio Querubin wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Charles N Wyble wrote:

Do I just need to assign ip addresses to my servers, add AAAA records to
my DNS server and that's it? I'm running PowerDNS for DNS, Apache for
WWW. Postfix for SMTP.

Best to remove IP version dependencies in your configs.

If you are using name-based virtual hosting in Apache, convert:

 Listen a.b.c.d:80         ->  Listen 80
 <Virtualhost a.b.c.d:80>  ->  <Virtualhost *:80>

That only works if you have only one address on the machine and.

If you have addresses that aren't intended for name-based-site-A but
do terminate SSL connections to sites B, C, and D, then you probably
don't want to use * for site A.

Use hard-coded IP addresses only where required for stuff like SSL-enabled webhosts.

Depends on the complexity of your environment. In a more complex configuration
you can actually save yourself a lot of trouble and confusion later by using a
construct like this:

Listen 192.159.10.7:80
Listen [2620:0:930::dead:beef:cafe]:80
Listen [2620:0:930::400:7]:80
<VirtualHost 192.159.10.7:80 [2620:0:930::400:7]:80 [2620:0:930::dead:beef:cafe]
:80>
        ServerName www.delong.com

YMMV, but, that's working reliably in my environment for:

[root@owen conf]# host www.delong.com
www.delong.com has address 192.159.10.7
www.delong.com has IPv6 address 2620:0:930::400:7

(The dead:beef:cafe address isn't currently in the AAAAs that are publicly visible because
it's used for testing specialized testing from different DNS views.)

The machine in question has a number of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses many
of which terminate HTTP/HTTPs connections, some of which do not.

Owen