nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ipv6 for the content provider

From: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder () wisc edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:45:12 -0600

Thus spake Leo Bicknell (bicknell () ufp org) on Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:55:26AM -0800:

The layer 3 part for you is really simple.  Here's a deployment model we
use a number of places.  I'm going to assume you have a /48, from ARIN
or your upstream.

Lay out your networks as:
  AAAA:BBBB:CCCC:<vlan>::/64

The AAAA:BBBB:CCCC::/48 was given to you by ARIN/your upstream.
For VLAN I recommend being human friendly and making vlan 10 be
AAAA:BBBB:CCCC:0010::/64, even though that's technically 16 in Hex.

At our site, we very strongly discourage mapping like this.  Your addressing
plan will outlive your infrastructure, and you will be stuck with it until
renumbering is no longer hard.

Dale