nanog mailing list archives

Re: Securing Border Routers

From: Ryan Shea <ryanshea () google com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:11:08 -0500

A stateful firewall outside of your router may create a new bottleneck which
increases your risk of DoS. Making sure that you know (and document, and
test) how to effectively contact your service providers should you be
attacked would be a good idea. Find out if your service providers have BGP
communities for remote triggered black hole (document and test). A denial of
service will break the weakest link in the chain toward your services, so
make sure you have appropriate bandwidth, a reasonable server architecture,
and if you have money to burn consider a DDoS mitigation service.

-Ryan