nanog mailing list archives

RE: Dual Homed BGP for failover

From: "Randy McAnally" <rsm () fast-serv com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:55:29 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:26:32 -0000, Ahmed Yousuf wrote
We're doing BGP to announce our PI space and make sure that our PI
space is reachable through both ISPs in case one link goes down.
 This is the primary need to do the BGP here.  Unfortunately my boss
has requested that we make use of the capacity of both links, rather
than pref traffic out of the higher capacity link.

Understood! you would _still_ take default BGP routes, I was implying more
along the lines (in cisco speak):

! Tweak as necessary to get a good balance
ip route 0.0.0.0 128.0.0.0 <peer1>
ip route 128.0.0.0 128.0.0.0 <peer2>

Set up SLA tracking on the peer IPs to retract the routes if either peer goes
down.

Either that or get more RAM on your router and go the BGP-only method.

-Randy