nanog mailing list archives

Re: Weekend Gedankenexperiment - The Kill Switch

From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 18:11:45 -0800

On 2/5/2011 6:43 AM, Fred Baker wrote:
On Feb 4, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Hayden Katzenellenbogen wrote:
Not sure if it has been said already but wasn't one of the key point for
the creation of the internet to create and infrastructure that would
survive in the case of all out war and massive destruction. (strategic
nuclear strikes)

Urban legend, although widely believed. Someone probably made the observation.

Maybe not quite an UL...

   <http://www.rand.org/about/history/baran.html>

On the average, The Rand Corp is extremely careful about what it publishes, yet here it is, repeating the claim.

Back in the '70s, I always heard "survive hostile battlefield conditions" and never heard anyone talk about comms survival of a nuclear event, but I wasn't in any interesting conversations, such as in front of funding agencies...

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking