nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 09:44:00 +1100

In message <FE7943DF-6A3A-478F-AF40-DE4D3592FB1D () puck nether net>, Jared Mauch
writes:

On Feb 4, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

=20
In message <201102041140.42719.lowen () pari edu>, Lamar Owen writes:
On Friday, February 04, 2011 09:05:09 am Derek J. Balling wrote:
I think they'll eventually notice a difference. How will an =
IPv4-only inter
nal host know what to do with an IPv6 AAAA record it gets from a DNS =
lookup?
=20
If the CPE is doing DNS proxy (most do) then it can map the AAAA =
record to an
A record it passes to the internal client, with an internal address =
for the=20
record chosen from RFC1918 space, and perform IPv4-IPv6 1:1 NAT from =
the assi
gned RFC1918 address to the external IPv6 address from the AAAA =
record (since
you have at least a /64 at your CPE, you can even use the RFC1918 =
address in
the lower 32 bits.... :-P). =20
=20
This may already be a standard, or a draft, or implemented somewhere; =
I don't
know.  But that is how I would do it, just thinking off the top of my =
head.
=20
=20
DS-lite delivers a IPv4 softwire over a IPv6 upstream.  It also
introduces less problems than NAT64 as it works with DNSSEC and
with IPv4 literal.  Along with DS-lite there is a UPNP replacement
designed to work with distributed NATs (DS-Lite (AFTR+B4) and NAT444
(LSN + CPE NAT)) so that holes can be punched threw multiple devices
if needed.

I've yet to see a version of ALG that isn't buggy (eg: Cisco SIP-ALG, =
2Wire/ATT uverse sip-alg is seriously broken, same for either dlink or =
netgear... we have to turn it off otherwise it does bad things).

And you reported the bugs.

I'm sure that LSN activity is going to work "great" for the carriers.

Yes it is a worry which is why we want people to move to IPv6 and
not use NAT.  Less things to go wrong.  A firewall only has to react
to the traffic not re-write it.  One lesa thing to go wrong.

- jared=
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org