nanog mailing list archives

Re: Post-Exhaustion-phase "punishment" for early adopters

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:51:12 -0500

On Feb 4, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
On Feb 4, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

No, and in fact, I believe all the RIRs will probably do a reasonably brisk business in reclamation and
reallocation, albeit in ever smaller blocks.

As holder of a small block, this scares and irritates me. It scares me that I might lose my autonomy and future
expansion through no fault of my own, and it irritates me that the reason I may be forced to give up my address
space will probably be to satisfy the internet's desperate need for more spam cannons.

If you are using your block, why would you worry?

If not are not using your block, why would you need it?

Likely because some devices still don't implement IPv6 bootstrap.  Try to recover a Cisco router via TFTP boot in an
IPv6 only environment.

I have been trying to remind my vendors to think about IPv6 first and IPv4 as a secondary capability to supplement
it, I do encourage everyone to make this part of your procurement of any equipment in 2011 and beyond.

eg: If your DNS provider doesn't do IPv6, switch.  (has tucows solved the AAAA glue issue yet?  i think i need to
switch... and no, i don't feel like using a hack process via a web form, I actually want real automated interfaces
and support...)

I'm a little confused.  Sounds like the things you are talking about all fall into the "if you are using your block"
category, so he shouldn't worry.

ARIN should not reclaim a block that is in use.  Unless I am confused?  (Happens a lot, especially as I get older.)

--
TTFN,
patrick