nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:47:50 -0600

On 2/3/2011 10:30 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
Hm, if you turn off the NAT66 function, wouldn't the traffic pass
through unhindered, too?

Only if the ISP is routing your inside address space to the firewall.

Or do you propose to make IPv6 home gateways the same way IPv4 home
gateways work, where it's usually not even possible to turn it off?

Home gateways don't need NAT. It's a balancing act between what is acceptable to break and what isn't. You wouldn't put uPNP on a corporate firewall either (but it's necessary for home gateways even without NAT).

I'm perfectly happy with an IPv6 network that only has rational
people on it while those who insist on NAT stay behind on IPv4.

I'm perfectly happy with watching the Internet go to hell; as it has been, and IPv6 will just escalate it. :)

Jack