nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:18:44 -0800

On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:45:46 -1000, Antonio Querubin said:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

different networks, things don't always work so well. I may want to use
the DHCP-provided NTP servers at work, but syncing with a random NTP
server when I connect to a wifi hotspot is not such a great idea.

It's not "random" if the network operator is providing it via DHCP is it?

If you're connecting at a Starbuck's, and you care more than "hopefully
somebody will tell me the right time within a minute", yes, it *is* essentially
random.

While that is true, the people that are asking for the ability to advertise
NTP servers in DHCP are not running the networks at Starbucks.

Owen