nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:13:24 -0600

On 2/2/2011 9:52 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

I understand people use DHCP for lots of stuff today. But that's
mainly because DHCP is there, not because it's the best possible way
to get that particular job done.

I don't disagree that an anycast well known address would be nice for say RA + SLAAC.

However, DHCP has many uses and requirements. It has versatility that RA + SLAAC doesn't have, especially when dealing with policies for specific devices (which I understand DHCPv6 is missing some of this logic). This includes DNS servers. When I am connected to certain parts of our network, the DNS servers I receive are not the same as everyone around me. This applies to VPN connections as well (though I realize in VPN I could actually setup for the prefix to go via the VPN).

DHCP is about giving hosts information based on policies. The simpler use of DHCP could easily be replaced, but the more common corporate uses cannot. Currently, much of the functionality of DHCP is not included in DHCPv6, which is a serious operations issue.

Jack