nanog mailing list archives

Re: What vexes VoIP users?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:37:43 -0500

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:29:08 EST, Bret Clark said:
On 02/28/2011 01:17 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
VoIP at the last mile is just too niche at the moment. It's for people on this list, not my mother.

Baloney...if that was the case, then all these ILEC's wouldn't be
whining about POT's lines decreasing exponentially year over year!

I do believe that the ILEC's are mostly losing POTS lines to cell phones, not
to VoIP. I myself have a cell phone but no POTS service at my home address.  On
the other hand, I *am* seeing a metric ton of Vonage and Magic Jack ads on TV
these days - if VoIP is "too niche", how are those two making any money?