nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

From: Jim Gettys <jg () freedesktop org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:40:45 -0500

On 02/28/2011 08:25 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

On Feb 28, 2011, at 1:10 21AM, Randy Bush wrote:

I'm not saying there are no uses for DHCPv6, though I suspect
that some of the reasons proposed are more people wanting to do
things the way they always do, rather than making small changes
and ending up with equivalent effort.

add noc and doc costs of all changes, please

Sure.  How do they compare to the total cost of the IPv6 conversion
excluding SLAAC?  (Btw, for the folks who said that enterprises may
not want privacy-enhanced addresses -- that isn't clear to me.  While
they may want it turned off internally, or even when roaming internally,
I suspect that many companies would really want to avoid having their
employees tracked when they're traveling.  Imagine -- you know the CEO's
laptop's MAC address from looking at Received: lines in headers.  (Some
CEOs do send email to random outsiders -- think of the Steve Jobs-grams
that some people have gotten.)  You then see the same MAC address with
a prefix belonging to some potential merger or joint venture target.  You
may turn on DHCPv6 to avoid that, but his/her home ISP or takeover target
may not.)

One of the items we worried about at OLPC (not that I remember if we ended up doing anything about it), is that in some countries, kidnapping is a very serious problem.

Again, having a permanently known identifier being broadcast all the time is a potentially a serious security/safety issue. It must be *possible* to be anonymous, even if some environments by policy won't provide service if you choose to be anonymous.
                        - Jim