nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sunday Funnies: Using a smart phone as a diagnostic tool

From: Charles N Wyble <charles () knownelement com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:14:53 -0800

On 02/27/2011 06:00 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Do you have a smartphone?  Blackberry?  iPhone?  Android?

Yes. Had all 3. Android is my only tool now. It's superb. I've
used/supported and developed applications for all 3 platforms. Android
has been the most pleasant by far.

Do you use it as a technical tool in your work, either for accessing
devices or testing connectivity -- or something else?

Yes. All the time. For out of band connectivity at customer sites to
various diagnostic applications on the phone.

If so, what kind of phone,

My Touch 3g from t-mobile.

 and what (if you don't mind letting on) are
your magic apps for this sort of work?

Built in browser on Froyo (often times need to search something when a
network is down), mail client (k9mail). Also netSwissTool. Oh and of
course I tether my phone.

(My motivation?  Well, um, Lee, I'm looking at buying an HTC Thunderbolt,
if everyone can get their thumbs out, and I want to get a feeling for
the lanscape, if you'll pardon the pun. :-)

I keep meaning to pickup a cheap android tablet. Load ubuntu on it
(android os is quite nice on a phone. larger system i would prefer to
have ubuntu). (before you sneer at me, i've been using linux for almost
15 years, and want something that just works :)

- --
Charles N Wyble (charles () knownelement com)
Systems craftsman for the stars
http://www.knownelement.com
Mobile: 626 539 4344
Office: 310 929 8793