nanog mailing list archives

Re: SLA for voice and video over IP/MPLS

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:42:42 -0500

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Anton Kapela <tkapela () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Diogo Montagner
<diogo.montagner () gmail com> wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for industry standard parameters to base the SLA of one
network regarding to voice, video and data application.

One won't find many, but a common rule of thumb is most apps will be
'fine' with networks that provide 10E-6 BER or lower loss rates.

out of pure curiosity, have you ever gotten a reasonable answer when
asking a carrier about this? I can imagine a sale-rep's brain
essentially exploding upon asking it. Additionally 'the network' is
not 'the path my packets take' ... so what number are you really
getting here?

-Chris