nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Exchange Point(IXP) questions

From: Martin Pels <martin.pels () ams-ix net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:26:15 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:44:56 -0800
Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:

In a message written on Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 04:36:28PM -0500,
Christopher Morrow wrote:
leaking the IX prefix to customers, to me, seems like a recipe for
much wider/unintended leakage :(

Oh, it is.  I remember when MAE-EAST was injected by at least 50
people into the DFZ because back then people weren't careful enough
to just send such things to customers.

AMS-IX (and others) have the better solution.  They have AS1200,
announce the exchange LAN from AS1200 (195.69.144.0/22).  They will
peer with you if you are at the exchange, see
http://www.ams-ix.net/as1200-peering/.  I believe, but can't find
a reference really quick that they get transit for it from a couple
of providers so those that don't peer still have the route.

We advertise 195.69.144.0/22 with no-export.

Kind regards,
Martin