nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:44:54 -0800

On Feb 17, 2011, at 8:35 AM, George Bonser wrote:

In other words, you're going to tell Granny she needs to upgrade to
Windows 8 and/or replace her CPE because you couldn't get your act
together and deploy
IPv6 - even though her friends at the bridge club who are customers of
your clued competitor didn't have to do a thing.

Or tell her to run "Windows Update" and get the latest update for her
existing OS which has the patch.

Because that certainly solved the DNS resolver over IPv6 problems
for all the WinXP users out there.

And then she has to do something *else* 9 months later when you need
deploy IPv6 *anyhow*.

Maybe, maybe not.  It depends on how it is deployed.  That "something
else" might be as simple as "reboot the computer".

Unlikely unless she has IPv6 compliant CPE.

I encourage my competitors to design their business plans that way. :)

Considering v4 is likely to be around for another decade or two, getting
Class E into general use seems easy enough to do.

I'd much rather see the resources required go into improving IPv6 support and
deployment.

Owen