nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 03:51:48 +0000

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 04:49:57PM -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On 2/13/11 10:31 AM, David Conrad wrote:
On Feb 13, 2011, at 7:56 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Of course, one might ask why those well known anycast addresses
are "owned" by 12 different organizations instead of being
"golden" addresses specified in an RFC or somesuch, but that gets
into root server operator politics...

there are perfectly valid reasons why you might want to renumber
one,

Ignoring historical mistakes, what would they be?

gosh, I can't imagine why anyone would want to renumber of out

198.32.64.0/24...

        or 198.32.65.0/24
        or 10.0.0.0/8
        or 128.0.0.0/16

(speaking of the other blocks I've had the fortune to have to renumber out of)

making them immutable pretty much insures that you'll then find a reason
to do so.

the current institutional heterogeneity has pretty good prospects
for survivability.

"Golden" addresses dedicated to root service (as opposed to 'owned'
by the root serving organization) means nothing regarding who is
operating servers behind those addresses.  It does make it easier to
change who performs root service operation (hence the politics).

There are plenty of cautionary tales to be told about well-known
addresses. assuming that for the sake of the present that we forsake
future flexibility then sure golden addresses are great.

Regards, -drc

        well - there is an interesting take on hosting root
        name service on 127.0.0.1  and ::1

        then you have to do other tricks, like multicast and
        new op-codes and rip out the link-local restrictions
        that Apple's multicastDNS or the ilnp proposals do...

        end of the day, you end up with a -much- more robust DNS
        w/o the whole P2P/DNS (chord) like framework.

but ... this thread has migrated far from its origins... and the mutations are
less than operational.

YMMV of course.

--bill