nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Henk Uijterwaal <henk () ripe net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:42:17 +0100

On 10/02/2011 06:15, Ricky Beam wrote:
On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:42:14 -0500, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan () atlasnetworks us>
wrote:
What do you mean, lit up?  You mean they're not in the routing tables that you
get from your carriers?  I'd argue that's no indication of whether they're in
use or not.

That's pretty much the definition of "in use".  If they don't appear in the
global routing table, then they aren't being used.  I cannot send traffic to
them; they cannot send traffic to me.

I don't think that this is a correct definition.  The question should be if
there is a need for a globally unique number for a device.

In my recent probe of route servers, I found 22 legacy /8's that were partly or
completely unused.  I'm a little surprised ARIN/ICANN thinks it's a waste of
time to even try to reclaim them.

If all 22 /8 that aren't in use would be reclaimed, that would only
postpone the problem by a few years, it would not solve problem that
IPv4 address space is limited and we will, sooner or later, run out.
Reclaiming will take a considerable amount of time and effort from
everybody, I think this is better spent working on a solution that
will solve the problem forever.

Henk

(Speaking for myself, not for my employer).

--
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku

I confirm today what I denied yesterday.            Anonymous Politician.