nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:15:52 -0500

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:42:14 -0500, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan () atlasnetworks us> wrote:
What do you mean, lit up? You mean they're not in the routing tables that you get from your carriers? I'd argue that's no indication of whether they're in use or not.

That's pretty much the definition of "in use". If they don't appear in the global routing table, then they aren't being used. I cannot send traffic to them; they cannot send traffic to me.

In my recent probe of route servers, I found 22 legacy /8's that were partly or completely unused. I'm a little surprised ARIN/ICANN thinks it's a waste of time to even try to reclaim them.

--Ricky