nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

From: Mark Tinka <mtinka () globaltransit net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:20:39 +0800

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 05:23:48 AM Tomas
Podermanski wrote:

In that area we also tried to use longer prefixes than
/64, but we had difficulties on some devices. There was
two kind of problems. Some of devices weren't able
properly handle longer prefixes for example in routing
protocols. The second group of devices tries to solve
processing longer prefixes via software. So we had to
gave up of using longer prefixes and now we uses 64-bit
prefixes including point to point links (and hope that
nothing will happen). But fact is that was 3 years ago,
so maybe today the situation is much better. I haven't
check for long time.

Interesting. Would you be able to tell us what kit that was,
if possible?

Also, is this something those vendors can fix in software,
or it's a hardware restriction?

Mark.