nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:51:52 -0600 (CST)

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

OK, I'll name names.  If you have end users still running WinXP, getting
them at least somewhat working under SLAAC/DHCPv4 is a lot less headache
than trying to DHCPv6 them.

Anybody managed to stamp out WinXP in their end user population yet?

Heh.  I haven't manage to stamp out WinXP in _my_ usage.

Microsoft's "Services for Unix" doesn't run on on anything but the obsecenely
high-priced top-end versions of their newer releases.  In addition to the
significantly increased hardware requirements to get the same "user app"
performance, this makes upgrading a 'show stopper'.