nanog mailing list archives

Re: Well Lookie Here, Barracuda Networks tries to get me to fall into their trap again...

From: PC <paul4004 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:26:56 -0600

This particular product is often used by the SMB types.  This changes
things a bit.  While I disagree with paying for signature updates you
didn't use (It's a service, and I don't care about their fixed costs, I
went into it knowing I'd have a license for the signatures as they were
expired), I do understand where they are coming from for software/firmware
development.  Unfortunately, they don't decouple the two.

However, this particular vendor is bad in a market where gear often passes
hands or goes lapsed for years.  After a certain point (IE: 1 yr), you
shouldn't have to true-up.  This particular company makes your 3-year
lapsed appliance pay for 3 years of missed updates, at which point you
might as well just throw it in the garbage.

Same thing with my license plates -- if they go for 11 months or less, I
have to "true up".  If I put a car in storage for over a year, I can
purchase a new registration.