nanog mailing list archives

Re: Well Lookie Here, Barracuda Networks tries to get me to fall into their trap again...

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:54:35 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Peach" <john-nanog () johnpeach com>

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:36:08 -0600
"John Palmer \(NANOG Acct\)" <nanog2 () adns net> wrote:

Well look what was in my in-box this morning! Looks like Barracuda
Networks is sending out spam again. Maybe word is getting around
about their less that value-full renewal policy. Could it be that
people are starting to resent being taken advantage of??

See my response below their message. Seems like they don't remember
that I was a fish they already hooked and fleeced.

[rest of rant snipped]

This has nothing to do with NANOG and is standard practice in the
software industry anyway.

In fact, it's not.  If you miss your renewal payment for, frex, Safari books,
they actually slip your cycle date to when you renew -- since you don't *get*
the service between the expire date and the renew date, I concur with his
appraisal that you shouldn't be paying for it, either.

If in fact, the service *kept working* for a short time when an overlooked payment was missed, it would be a different
story.

But, effectively, he's a new client, and should probably be treated that way.
Assuming the paid service is actually *the update service*.

I also disagree with your proposition that this is off-topic for NANOG,
really.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com